Johannes Petrus Meyer, a council member for the Klip River District and a well known gold prospector, and members of the Pretorius family had a vision of a town in this area. In 1891 they formed a syndicate, with Jan Meyer as Chairman, to develop the land and proclaim a township. The town of Meyerton was officially proclaimed on 6 June 1891. It acquired municipal status in 1961.
Today, Meyerton is a small town with a population of approximately 12,000 and is located in a predominantly rural area. Sited close to the Klip River, a tributary of the Vaal River, its primary industries are ceramics and metal related manufacturing.