Vaal Triangle History
Klip Power Station
1905 May. The mines first major disaster. Ten white and seven non-white personnel killed.
1905 A weir was constructed across the Vaal River.
1905 Ostriches, sheep and some 5 000 sheep were introduced into the Maccauvlei forest.
1905 The courthouse and jail were constructed by Leslie.
1905 Isaac Lewis builds a house on the river, later to become the Vereeniging Country Club.
1911 November 15. Union Steel Corporation (SA) Limited was founded.
1912 The Victoria Falls and Transvaal Power Company erected a power station.
1912 Public Library established.
1912 December 5. Vereeniging declared a major municipality.
1915 The town’s golf course was laid.
1915 The first bank, Standard Bank opened. In Main Street (now Voortrekker Street).
1916 The Vereeniging Milling company established.
1917 The Indian community built the first mosque in Vereeniging
1917 The Vaal River rose to flood the town.
1918 October The world wide Spanish Influenza epidemic hits Vereeniging.
1920 Senator Samuel Marks died
1921 January. The first houses in Vereeniging are wired for electricity.
1921 The road bridge over the Vaal River is built.
1922 Printing of Vereeniging’s first newspaper, the ‘Vereeniging Call’.
1923 Vaal River Barrage completed.
1923 Rand Water’s first purification and pumping station put into operation.
1927 Vereeniging’s first fire service (which consisted of a push-cart with hose and equipment) was brought into service.
1927 Stewart & Lloyds opens a tube making company.
1927 The present Riviera hotel was built.
1930 April. Iscor aquires a controlling interest in the Union Steel Corporation.
1932 First of Vereeniging’s streets was macadamised.
1933 An aerodrome was laid out at Vereeniging.