Vaal Triangle History
Klip Power Station
1934 Hospital Building erected at a cost of £18 000.
1934 South Africa’s first national flying race held at the Vereeniging Flying Club.
1936 Klip Power Station erected at Redan.
1936 August 29. Vereeniging aerodrome opened.
1937 Vereeniging town supplied with water from Rand Water.
1937 Vaal Dam completed.
1937 McKinnon Chain and African Cables establish factories in Vereeniging.
1938 Vereeniging’s first traffic officer appointed.
1939 The first Fire-Engine purchased and a fire station shed built
1939 An agriculture and implement factory, Safim (later to become Massey-Ferguson), was established.
1941 Vanderbijlpark founded with the construction of the first plate mill.
1942 Thomas Nicolas Leslie died.
1944 Suburb of Three Rivers proclaimed.
1945 Anglo American takes over Vereeniging Estates.
1945 A separate department for non-European affairs is formed.
1945 Vaal power station built.
1945 A separate department for non-European affairs formed.
1953 The present steel railway bridge was built over the Vaal.
1954 Taiibos power station built.
1954 Rand Water's Zuikerbosch purification and pumping station brought into operation.
1958 A new Abbatoir built at Leeuwkuil.
1959 August. The market was moved to Leeuwkuil
1959 Highveld, the last of five power stations was built.
1960 March 12. Massacre at Sharpeville where 86 were killed and 180 wounded.
1960 The Vereeniging hospital in Duncanville opened in October
1966 Construction of houses in the ‘Indian Township’ of Roshnee begins.
1966 The Vereeniging Museum was opened in October 1966
1966 A new Vereeniging hospital was opened in October 1966.
1988 FW de Klerk bridge over the Vaal River opened.