1889 - 1902

1939 - 1945




Klip Power Station

William Stow


Vaal Dam

Vereeniging Estates

Peace Negotiations


Vaal Triangle History

The clubhouse was extended in 1967 with the addition of the two flanks adjoining the original building to accommodate the new bar and lounge. Local architects, John Tremlow and Bert Orsmond, were responsible for the design of these additions, and the extension was paid for by Anglo American.
  In 1968 a major decision was taken to alter the bunkering of the holes with the view to making playing conditions more pleasant for all categories of golfers.
  At that stage Maccauvlei boasted 96 bunkers, some say the most bunkers in the world. Most of these bunkers were outdated and maintenance of them had become excessive. The committee adopted a proposal by the local pro, Hugh Inggs to eliminate 46 of these bunkers. Those remaining were to be made visible to the golfer. The only proviso with this modernisation scheme was, that it was not to destroy the character of the course.
  In 1969, a severe drought year, the Club was not allowed to use water in excess of four hours per week. This was in terms of restrictions imposed by water rationing regulations for golf courses. Although Maccauvlei was allowed to pump water out of the Vaal River, this was permitted on condition that the Club consider "our moral obligation" towards the conservation of water in the interests of the nation.
In 1961 the Garden of Remembrance next to the green of the third hole was officially opened (see Chapter 12). Sixty eight soldiers who were killed in the area during the Anglo Boer War are buried there, including 20 who were originally buried where they fell in and around Maccauvlei.
The Garden of Remembrance
Even casual good taste is not good enough
The dress code set by the first Secretary, Frank Grey, set a powerful precedent. Even 30 years later in October 1958 there is a record that sleeveless shirts were not regarded as proper attire, and in May 1966 the pro, Hugh Inggs, was advised by the Secretary to wear a tie in the bar. In the late sixties there was a lot of pressure to change the dress code. In 1968, it was still "jackets and ties shall be worn by gentleman members in the lounge at all times and in the dining room in the evenings." It was proposed to add the following provision, "Casual attire in good taste will be permitted on the Club's premises", but this motion was rejected at the AGM. However, when safari suits became the popular dress, especially amongst the medical fraternity, the formal dress code eventually gave way, as long as the less formal attire was worn with a cravat over weekends.

Serious challenges for the seventies
The 70's proved to be difficult years for the Club. The picture was gloomy. Everything would have to be improved if the Club was to survive, from the number of rounds played, to the number of new members allowed in.
  The Club faced two serious problems with regard to its membership - these were a decline in numbers and an increase in the average age. A concerted drive was made to attract new members, preferably in the under 30 age group. Entrance fees were dropped, membership fees lowered, and a major newspaper was approached to write about the improvements at the Club. But, despite all these efforts, nature had a say in the destiny of the Club as well.
  In May 1972 there were serious floods, damaging the Dickinson Park Bridge which had to be closed for repairs. Golfers had to go via the old "Ascot Bridge", which at that time was a single lane bridge, to reach the Club. The following year the course was infested by ants due to the severe drought conditions.
  Incredibly, the course was hit by even more severe floods in February 1975. This time Maccauvlei was literally "out of bounds". The Club could not be reached via the Dickinson bridge, which was bent and had to be jacked up and straightened and was only expected to open in July of that year. The "new" Ascot Bridge was still under construction and was only expected to allow traffic to cross in April, so the only way to Maccauvlei was via Sasolburg. The Club suffered a great loss due to the closure of the bridge. Thought was given to the use of a ferry service to cross the river, and permission was also sought from the Rand Water Board to use the

The Swinging Sixties and Sticky Seventies

Page 21

Page 3